Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Leadership and Courage

I had a team discussion with my team today in regard to leadership and courage. I recently had the great (mis) fortune to be "forced" to watch Braveheart for (what felt like) the hundreth time as my husband held quite firm about not changing the channel. Although I had seen th emovie multiple times before, there were messages in it this time around that I had missed when watching it (earlier in my professional life). Picking up on messages of courage, honor and integrity, I jotted down notes and thoughts as I received the movie's message. One line in particular stuck out at me:

"People don't follow titles or ownership of land. They follow Courage."

Ah, how true that is in any era, any world and any industry. Even today this line strikes a chord, with many leaders who hide behind titles, assumed prestige and credentials. Courage is not a trait we often see in today's business world or corporate culture. Courage requires sticking your neck out, taking occasionally uncomfortable stances and championing issues that are "right" and true to yourself. So many are fearful of losing their jobs, or the favor of their leaders, with expression or signs of courage. As in my previous post about speaking up for success I proclaim, you have nothing to fear. "See No Evil ..." philosophies are not courageous; they are archaic and conformist. If you are in doubt about what this type of fear can do, watch the movie Office Space, one of the greatest movies ever made about corporate culture in America today.

More to come tomorrow.

No comments:


Add to Technorati Favorites
Add to Technorati Favorites