Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Interview Mystery


As someone who has both conducted hundred of interviews over the years, and who have interviewed myself a few times, I can comfortably say that I know what works and what doesn't. People often ask me what the trick is and the truth is: THERE IS NO TRICK! The dating scene seems to weigh heavier when it says "Be Yourself" than any career counselors, bloggers or hiring managers. Heck, then again, some folks probably consider getting laid just a snap above getting hired so perhaps they do have their priorities right?

Go into interviews with these small factoids in mind:


1. The Interviewer is a human being who at some point in time sat in your chair doing exactly what you are doing

2. The Interviewer, or Hiring Manager, is convinced that you were a good enough fit to bring in for an interview. She has already decided that you're a step ahead of the others.

3. The Interviewer has heard it all before (probably several times that day). No matter how great of a spin you put on industry lingo or how many personal touches you apply to "I'm very detail oriented", she is still going to hear "Cliche # 243, check!".

Don't fret! You may be very detail oriented but in light of the job she has you interviewing for she is probably already assuming that you are. Don't waste valuable time with these people telling them something they already assume to know. Tell them something they don't know about you. Peak their interest. Go beyond the resume and into your heart and mind. An example could be:


Interviewer: "So what do you feel that you could contribute to our company in this role?"

Answer: "Sir/Matt/Mr.XYZ, I was hoping you would ask that question! My initial impulse is to share with you the numerous metrics and KPIs I had researched about your company, but I want to make sure that that is what you are interested in? If possible, I'd love to have an actual dialogue as to your vision and how I can assist in realizing that vision!"

The conversation can take a hundred different directions there based on the type of dialogue you establish. Being yourself is the only way to establish set dialogue. Prior to going in for an interview though there are some basic premises you have to ask yourself:

  1. Do you LOVE what you do? (not just good at it but love it)

  2. Are you GOOD at what do you do?

  3. What exactly DO you want to do (you have no idea how many times I have had candidates come in and say "Oh uhhh, I want a job in marketing", "Me: Ok, what would you like to to", Him: "I don't know, marketing is a broad field, to learn everything basically!". Yeah, that guy did not have much of a chance I'm semi-sorry to say. Know what you want.

For some other great interview tips, be sure to check out InterviewChatter.com!

No comments:


Add to Technorati Favorites
Add to Technorati Favorites