Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Why do you blog?

I took the time today to read blogs. A ton of blogs. Blogs across industries, blogs across mediums and blogs across authors. I read some great blogs, some boring ones and some fantastic ones. As I was reading them, I took mental notes of what was good, what worked (and what didn’t) and how the blogger was engaging the reader. In the lesser quality ones I realized that the blogger was simply engaging in a self-absorbed rant; writing to hear themselves think out loud. In the incredibly engaging ones the discovery was that the level of engagement with the reader, coupled with the author’s assertiveness or authority on the topic, made all the difference. The authors who ended their blogs with a question or poll obviously had a different reader involvement since they were inviting the end user into an actual dialogue, as opposed to a diatribe.

In the end it truly comes down to goals. What are you trying to accomplish with your blog? I’m currently watching the Food Network’s “Next Food Network Star” show (for some reason these cooking competition shows are highly addictive!), where there recently was a comment made to one of the competitors:

“You are too all over the place with your cooking. What do you want to be known for, what is your signature?”

As in previous discussions about personal trademarks, the issue again comes up about taking a stand and knowing who you are as well as why you blog. One of my main personal trademarks is that I say what others only think, usually to the great relief of those who aren’t as comfortable speaking up about the uncomfortable things. My blog goal is simply to help people do the same; speak up. Not just online but offline as well. My goal in general is to help facilitate an openness in Corporate America that is not currently often there. Hopefully my personal trademark and my personal goal shows up in who I am and what I represent, both on-and-offline.

I must admit that one thing that popped out at me this morning perusing blogs is that I understand that linking to other articles, blogs and posts is important for visibility. However, what I did find that that I'd be in the midst of really enjoying one particular post, only to be completely detracted by a link in it that would lead me to another post, then another etc. An hour later I finally found my way back to the window that had the original blog I was reading. Links are great but sometimes a clean piece of writing, sans links, actually gets (and keeps) my attention better. So - no links in this posting. Yes, I want your attention. :-)

What is your goal for blogging?

1 comment:

id10t said...

My goal for blogging is to make an alternative method for landing a job in Michigan's post-apocalyptic wasteland of an "economy".
I just started it up, but I have already received contact from Jason at jibberjobber.com, which lead me here.
My blog is at http://www.hireryansmith.blogspot.com/ any and all comments, suggestions and/or Diggs are always highly appreciated.


Add to Technorati Favorites
Add to Technorati Favorites